Wednesday, April 18, 2012

eReaders

Since attending Full Sail University I’ve become very familiar with ebooks. The majority of our class textbooks come in this format, and after my eyes lost focus from reading on my MacBook, I decided it was time to invest in an ereader. 

By now, I’m sure the majority of you have heard of ereaders. As a matter of fact, the latest study from Pew Internet states that 29% of people in the United States own either a tablet or ereader. Tablets have dominated the industry for a while now, but Business Week predicts that ereader sales will triple by 2016. So far this year there have been 25 million ereaders sold, and any reading enthusiast will tell you why. 


As an avid reader and Apple lover, an iPad is high on my wish list, but at the same time being able to read outdoors is a huge must for me. The LCD screen featured on tablets doesn’t allow you to read outside as easily, but the e-ink display found on ereaders gives the look of an actual book, and makes it just as easy to read in direct sunlight. In addition most are smaller and lighter than many books, making it easy to hold and take from one place to another. To me the biggest perks are the battery life and price. My Kindle Touch has a two-month battery life, making it easy, convenient and stress free. Furthermore, the basic Kindle model costs only $79, which was a huge plus to a poor college student like myself. 

Over the years I’ve collected a huge number of books, but just as the iPod meant the death CDs, many predict that the same will be true for paperbacks. Paperback book sales have dropped by 25%. With the expected rise of ereader sales, and the lower cost of ebooks, I can’t say that I disagree. If you’ve visited your local library lately you may be shocked to find that many are offering the option to rent ebooks as well. Do you think the fact that libraries are supporting the trend adds credibility to it? Do you have an ereader? 

Photo courtesy of: http://keithjinternet.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/ipad-vs-nook-vs-kindle/

No comments:

Post a Comment